Considering SMT for mass productionemblePCB
Mass production excellence is all about speed, quality, and cost. To meet your dynamic market needs, your company should have the ability to pivot based on changing levels of demand.
There was a time when “Through-Hole” technology dominated the manufacturing market as it was a huge step forward from hand-crafted solutions, this still had significant problems. Despite having some advantages such as:
- Providing stronger bonds
- Works well in fast prototyping
- Ideal for components that are used under stressed environment;
“Through-Hole” technology has more limitations to fit in the mass manufacturing process:
- Requires drilling holes on PCBs, with each individual component using a small “peg and hole” arrangement to stay in place before being secured on the opposite side.
- Drilling holes on a PCB is expensive, time-consuming, and lowers the strength of the boards.
- It limits routing area on multi-layered boards.
- THT process overall is more expensive.
- Through hole requires soldering on both sides of the PCB, making the process more tedious.
As technology in the field of electronics advanced, PCBsminiaturized.Yes, you guessed it right. Surface-mounted technology has revolutionized electronics manufacturing. This technology has improved radically in the intervening decades; however, the underlying processes are the same. Let us understand how SMT made it so effective.
Surface Mounting Technology (SMT)took the basic concept of through-hole manufacturing and streamlined it. PCBs no longer had to have holes drilled through them. Instead, components could be applied using a solder paste that doubled as glue. The general process of SMT assembly includes printing solder paste, mounting components, reflow soldering, AOI, or AXI. Top electronics manufacturing company in Ahmedabad offers surface mounting assembly at low prices.
There are plentiful advantages of this technology such as:
- Allows for compact PCB
- Higher component density
- Less drilling, more affordable
- Faster production time
- SMT components are placed at rates of 6000-25000/hour
- Reliable soldering
- Assembly with accurate temperature profile.
When we can not overlook these benefits of SMT, it is important for us to know that the keystone here is Pick & Place system. It helps in boosting production with the help of automated machinery.
We are aware that Electronic components are placed on a PCB by a fully automated pick and place machine in SMT (Surface Mount Technology).
The market keeps on demanding compact electronic products every now and then, such as cell phones, laptops, etc. Even, SMT is now standard in the niche market. Hence, most electronics factories now use SMT as it is much more cost and time-efficient than THM (Through Hole Mounting).